Host Zack Demopoulos speaks with ComForCare Home Care Provider Tom Bolander about hiring caregivers to help you care for your family loved one.
Host Zack Demopoulos recently attended a ComForCare national conference and had the opportunity to speak with quite a few owners and operators of ComForCare home care agencies from all over this continent. He shares some great tips from these passionate providers that come from their experience of hiring many caregivers in these series.
In this episode he interviews Tom Bolonder, owner and operator of a ComForCare home care agency in Annapolis Maryland right on Chesapeake Bay.
This show is sponsored by ComForCare, a national home care provider that will help you live your best life possible. https://comforcare.com/
In previous Episode 26 and Episode 27 Zack discussed hiring home care to help you care for a family loved one so that they can continue to live at home independently and safely. Home Care is Day 17 of the 30 Day Preparation Plan to care for an aging adult.
- What they do as a home care provider. The right agency has to be hiring the right caregivers.
- Gives an example of a client and what his caregiver does for them.
- Caregivers are usually referred by other caregivers. A good agency will treat them well, invest in training, have a mentor program
- Tom and his wife hire for heart, like the Chic Fil A model.
- Talks about the importance of doing reference checks on that caregiver with clients they have cared for in the past.
- How to hire for heart: Sit down and talk with them, you can tell when you sit down and talk with them, genuine care. Have they taken care of their own family? Volunteered?
Tom shared questions you should be asking a home care agency in hiring a caregiver for their family loved one:
- What are the minimum hours?
- Will it be the same caregiver for all shifts?
- What kind of training do the caregivers go through?
- How do you vet your caregivers?
- What is the cost?
- Can you get references?
- Do they drive to appointments?
- Do they cook?
- How often will you report back to us?
Thank you for joining us for Episode 29. Join us for the next episode where we continue our series on hiring a caregiver to help you care for a family loved one.
Thank you for listening to the Raising ‘Rents podcast. If you have any questions or feedback, please go to our website www.raisingrents.com and click on the “Contact” tab. Let us know about any topics you want covered. You can also find the show notes and references to anything we talked about. Until we talk again, remember that our parents raised us, the least we can do is help raise them. Talk to you later.
Tom and Sue Bolander
Phone: (443) 906-6282
Fax: (443) 906-6284
Sources used in this episode:
Intro/outro music: Arthaiz
Other music: bensound-acousticbreeze bensound credit e7
Daughter Anastasia Demopoulos does the opening voice over
Website created and managed by Philip Golden