Raising ‘Rents (parents) Podcast is a short bi-weekly show for the sandwich generation – which is someone, who suddenly, in addition to current responsibilities like raising kids, pets or having a full-time job, are now faced with the realization they must help raise their parents or an aging adult. Raising ‘Rents’ primary purpose is to inspire, educate and support those who currently, or in the near future, will be caregivers for someone a lot older than themselves. The host, Zack Demopoulos, along with his wife Phyllis, have owned and operated a home healthcare agency in New Jersey for many years and have gained quite a bit of experience and knowledge about caring for aging adults along the way. Raising ‘Rents will deliver, through an entertaining and informative format, stories about care-giving from those who have experienced it on both sides…caregivers, industry experts, and aging parents themselves.
A sample of topics that will be discussed include:
- It’s tough being a long-distance adult kid. It’s even tougher being a local adult kid!
- Dad is being discharged from the hospital tomorrow and we are told he needs 24/7 care? Yikes! What do we do?
- Mom (who could use help herself) said they do not need anybody–she’ll take care of Dad!
- Why use an elder care attorney? Cheaper on the internet.
- I am confused about Medicare, Medicaid, health insurance, and long term care insurance.
- My parent is starting to forget things. What is normal and what is dementia?
- We found the gas stove on at my Mom’s house. What do we do?
- My dad should not be driving anymore. He’s screaming at me every time I bring it up.
- I think we need a home inspection for fall prevention…if only I knew what that really meant
- Mom is now a widow–how do we support her, and what if she wants to start dating?!
- Grandpa has fallen, and you know the rest…he could not get up, we called the firefighters for the nth time, and he won’t wear the emergency response bracelet we got him.
By the way, Zack personally thanks his youngest adult kid, Anastasia, for the name of the podcast. Besides the annoying fact she calls him and Phyllis “Rents”, she reminds them that they better be nice to her because one day she will be raising them!